Saturday, July 05, 2008

Lo que está hecho, está hecho / What's done is done

I always forget that I am nothing but one more in your contact list. Sometimes, I am at the beginning, sometimes at the end: just another one in a long list. But when you call, I’d rather not think about it. I close my eyes and respond to your call without thinking, without feeling, trying to forget what you do to me. I come to you following that senseless attraction, and on each step I wonder why I am doing this, I give myself thousands of reasons to turn round and not to go on.

I have a shower, you are going to use me and dump me. I leave home, you will ask me to do this and that, and I’ll do it, thinking of other many things that I could do to impress you, sometimes even better that the ones you ask, but you never ask about them. I get on the bus, I pay the ticket, I will spend some hours with you, and you will not call me back, I will have to do the same way to look for you not even knowing if you will want to see me again. I get off the bus, and I will have to wait for your messages, looking compulsively through hundreds of emails on the internet, waiting for yours, looking for a warning on the cell phone. I take ther train, and I’ll do it on those momentsiwhen, for some absurd reasons, you suddenly pop up in my head, even if I am talking to a friend, even if I am watching a movie at the cinema, and everybody will think that I am looking at it to know the time and I won’t make the right, ashamed of having fallen for the same thing again, tired of making the rest participants of my petty miseries. There is only one stop left, so you ever think of me?, would you have minded if this time, when my name was being called three times, nobody had answered? I get off the train, this time I will care less, it’s been so many times already, we have been together for so many years, and I am over it, I am going to care less, and actually, you are not so important in my life, everything carries on the same without you and no, you do not break my heart no, it is not that, it does not hurt, no no I do not need you a bit more every time, no, I couldn’t care less about you, I care about you as little as you care about me. I see you in the distance, I’ll spend some hours with you, ephemeral, some time apart from the world, an island away from my life you never want to be a part of, a few hours full of incontrollable emotions, hopes, absurd desires adrenaline and then, you will dump me for the next one in the list, and I will stay longing for your moments. Nevertheless, I come close to you, I close my eyes, you hold me, my thought dissolve in your kisses,

I have done it again. You call came from Spain and I left everything in New York. My job, my friends, my home, my lover, my classes m, my theatre, my dance, my music… I started leaving everything little by little, leaving myself, leaving everything for you until, in the end, when there was hardly anything left, I took the plane a flew here. To spend with you these few hours that you contemptuously give me as a gift when you are not with another one, like doing me a favour, which are going to make me pay a high emotional price. And now, all I can do is waiting for you to decide, waiting for you to call me an tell me. I feel every second go by. It does not hurt, it is just a being conscious of the time going by, of the clock hands moving. Each second is a blow of fresh breeze going through my bones. Or a heat wave burning inside me, or a cold water storm falling on my skin. It does not hurt, its just a being conscious of every single instant. But it’s nothing new. I knew it was going to happen, I knew it was coming. And I am here again, in another of those common places of my life which are nowhere.

And thus, I wait for you.

Siempre se me olvida que solo soy una más en tu lista de correos. A veces estoy de las primeras, a veces estoy de las últimas: una más en una larga lista. Pero cuando me llamas, prefiero no pensar en ello. Cierro los ojos y acudo a tu llamada sin pensar, sin sentir, intentando olvidar lo que me haces. Voy hacia ti siguiendo esta atracción sin sentido, y a cada paso me pregunto a mí misma por qué lo hago, me doy a mi misma miles de razones para darme la vuelta y no seguir adelante.

Me ducho, me vas a usar y me vas a tirar. Salgo de casa, me pedirás que haga esto y aquello por ti, y yo lo haré, pensando en otras muchas cosas que podría hacer para impresionarte, a veces mejor que las que me pides, pero sobre las que ni siquiera preguntas. Subo al autobús, pago el billete, pasaré unas horas contigo, y luego no me volverás a llamar, tendré que recorrer el camino para buscarte sin ni siquiera saber si me quieres volver a ver. Bajo del autobús, y tendré que esperar tus mensajes, mirando compulsivamente en internet entre cientos de emailes, esperando el tuyo, buscando un aviso en el móvil. Cojo el tren, y lo haré en momentos en los que por razones absurdas, de repente aparezcas en mi cabeza, aunque esté hablando con un amigo, aunque esté en el cine viendo una película y todos pensarán que miro la hora y no les sacaré de su error, avergonzada por haber vuelto a caer en lo mismo, harta de hacer partícipes a los de más de mis patéticas miserias. Falta una parada, ¿te acuerdas de mí alguna vez? ¿ te habría importado si está vez, al pronunciar mi nombre tres veces nadie hubiese contestado? Bajo del tren, está vez me importará menos, ya han sido tantas veces, llevamos tantos años, lo tengo superado, va a importarme menos, y en realidad no eres tan importante en mi vida, todo sigue igual sin ti y no, no me rompes el corazón, no es eso, no, no me duele, no, no te necesito cada vez más, no, me das completamente igual, me importas tan poco como yo a ti. Te veo a lo lejos, pasaré unas horas contigo, efímeras, un tiempo aparte del mundo, una isla lejos de la vida, del la que nunca quieres formar parte, unas horas llenas de emociones incontrolables, de esperanzas, de deseos absurdos, de adrenalina, y luego me dejarás por la siguiente de la lista, y yo quedaré anhelando tus momentos. Aún así, me acerco a ti, cierro los ojos, me abrazas, mis pensamientos se disuelven en tus besos.

Lo he vuelto a hacer. Me llegó tu llamada desde España y lo dejé todo en Nueva York. Mi trabajo, mis amigos, mi casa , mi amante, mis clases, mi teatro, mi baile, mi música...Empecé a dejarlo todo poco a poco, a dejar de ser yo, a dejarlo todo por ti, hasta que al final, cuando ya apenas me quedaba nada, cogí el avión y vine. Para pasar contigo estas horas que me regalas con desprecio cuando no estás con otra, como haciéndome un favor, por las que sé que voy a pagar un precio emocional muy alto. Y ahora, solo me queda esperar que te decidas, esperar que me llames y me cuentes. Siento cada segundo de los días pasar. No duele, es solo ser consciente del tiempo pasar, de las manecillas del reloj girando. Cada segundo es un soplo de brisa fresca que atraviesa mis huesos, o una ola de calor en enciende mis entrañas, o una tormenta de agua fría cayendo sobre mi piel. No duele, simplemente es ser consciente de cada instante. Pero no es nada nuevo. Sabía que iba a pasar, sabía que iba a llegar. Y vuelvo a estar aquí, en otro de estos lugares comunes de mi vida que no están en ningún sitio.

Y así, te espero.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

nice